View Single Post
Old 03-20-11, 10:16 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My dad is 99 and was an avid cyclist all his life. Not a racer, but a commuter and recreational rider. He's very unhappy that we took his bike away when he hit about 92. His balance isn't what it was, and we worry that if he falls over he'll break every bone in his body. My wife and I are his "caretakers" (because we live a couple miles away.) My brothers and their wives, who live 1,000 miles away, would never forgive us if we aided my dad's wishes, let him ride his bike, and something tragic happened.

Last week I saw the posting about the 103-year-old guy on a tricycle. My dad got very excited. We're now looking into a trike for him. In his case we're looking for an upright riding position, wide saddle, three speed rear hub, and light weight. We found one that folds, which would be nice since we want to be able to pick him and his trike up if he gets over-tired and needs a sag. He wants to ride it to the grocery store, which is about a half mile away, fill up the basket with groceries, and ride home. It sounds great, but we're thinking he might poop out at the store and need a ride home.

I'll keep you posted.