Old 03-21-11, 06:59 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert_C
Yes; but, you were dead on with the line, "because of the price of housing." This is why they have to live so far from work. Add to that the temporary nature of most jobs which makes it unreasonable for people to move closer to work. After all, it makes no sense to move closer to work if you have no idea where work will be next month.

The first fix has to be a focus on national Job security. That would give people the ability to plan and work to resolve the other problems. People can not devote themselves to fixing problems, like long commutes,when the prevailing mindset is, "everything is temporary."
I agree with this ^^^^

I have ridden 5 companies into bankruptcy/dissolution/overseas relocation in the past 30 years, good thing I am willing to travel for work or I would have been unemployed more than not. My current commute is 43 miles one way and requires an additional 600 miles of driving a week at the moment

There is no thing as a secure job anymore that I am aware of. I have friends that work for big name Fortune 500 companies that have had the rug pulled out from under them in a variety of ways, plants closed with little warning and the only job available requires relocation and a pay cut. Another one had his department eliminated and they offered him a job at a plant on the other side of the county 45 miles away and no relocation help or pay increase to cover the cost of the brutal commute.

Given the current economic climate along with a lot of other things that are going on in the world I don't know if we will ever see a truly stable employment environment again. Unless you count subsistence living, which is a full time job in itself.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 03-21-11 at 07:02 PM.