View Single Post
Old 03-21-11, 11:22 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Bike has been great. I've ridden it through Wilder Ranch and the UC Santa Cruz upper campus, and this weekend went to Henry Coe State Park. The only issue is the gearing--uphill in wet offroad conditions standing out of the saddle with all my power just wouldn't get me to move another inch. I have a 50-34 FSA Gossamer crankset and a 12-30 Sunrace Cassete from ebay coming so hopefully I'll be able to make it up this stuff. It was good practice at dismounting and carrying, though! Very fun ride--it just feels more fun/responsive than my touring bike, and does just fine offroad.

It's crazy how well it fits me. I didn't even need to touch the saddle from where the previous owner set it, despite them being some 14 year old kid.

The color is seriously ******, although it's scuffed up and missing in a couple spots. Don't care.

arctic hawk: by the way, when you toured, what rack did you use? My frame, at the least, has eyelets for fenders but no seatstay eyelets for a rack, or mid-fork eyelets. I have no immediate intentions of popping a rack on this bike, but it could happen if I end up with a daily commute with moderate theft risk. I'm thinking of lowballing every auction on a Old Man Mountain rack that clamps to the canti posts. I can also look into p clamps, as the cost of a used rear touring rack in my area is laughably minimal.

Last edited by cpach; 03-21-11 at 11:39 PM.