Old 03-22-11, 09:26 AM
masiman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikhalit
Hello all,

I desperately need opinions from those who own bike trailers like Chariot (Cougar, CX, Captain XL) or Nordic Cab or anything similar.

We, parents of twins under half year, need a trailer that can be used for bike, strolling, jogging and cross country skiing. So far I am aware of only two companies that do such trailers, Chariot and Nordic Cab.

Chariots seem to be lighter and have suspension, Nordic Cab seems sturdier and cheeper. There are some interesting construction differences in both.

Please have a look at the list of the questions, I'd really appreciate if you give me some feedback.
  1. Are they big enough for two rather big children (say three year olds)?
  2. Can you fit a 6 month old baby inside comfortably?
  3. Is suspension really necessary (i know NC doesn't have it, but apparently suspension kit will be released this May)? Can just a very fat tire do a good job with two one year olds inside + luggage?
  4. Is the hard trailer's bottom a big advantage?
  5. How stable is it (especially the Nordic Cab)?
  6. How appropriate is it for a wet/snowy winter conditions?
  7. Is it really good for jogging, do you hit the back wall of the trailer when running?
  8. Is it appropriate for long distance self supported touring?

Finding a good trailer is extremely important for us, as we almost live on the bikes. Jogging/Skiing is vital too, especially now, when my wife (and i guess me too) need to recover from the birth.
No first hand experience with either.

1. They are all kind of tight. I think the Chariot Cougar XL is the largest of all the trailers. Shoulder width being the most important measurement.
2. 6 month olds are tough to travel with because they don't have as much body control (head, righting self, etc.). The NC may be nicer in this regard because of the reclining seat. However, you will only need infant features for @ 6 more months.
3. Suspension is nice but I do not think necessary unless you will constantly be on potholed roads or rough rooted paths. Fat tires should be fine.
4. Stiff bottoms are nice so kids can stand on it getting in and out plus for hanging around.
5. They are all pretty stable. The danger with any of them is getting off camber such as one wheel going up a curb or over a rock. You can make some raise a wheel or flip if you whip a tight turn but you have bigger issues if you need to do that kind of maneuvering. Stability is good with all the trailers at this price point. I don't know of any at lower price points that have significantly worse stability.
6. They both look to seal pretty good. I'd try to find out more about how water proof they are. Cold can be insulated with blankets and such. Wet will make all of that harder and potentially more dangerous.
7. No idea. The cougar looks to have a shape conducive to jogging with the sloped rear.
8. They all handle about the same load (~100lbs). They can probably handle more. I've had mine comfortably at ~150lbs at speed and it is rated for 100lbs. I am not sure if these convert to cargo trailers if that is what you mean.