View Single Post
Old 03-23-11, 05:06 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
That's right, eating healthy and adding extra miles actually caused me to gain weight.
A pound of fat is about 3500 calories. Eating the extra 2-3 days of food needed to gain two pounds of it in a week would be hard.

Water weighs a pound per pint, and two pints/pounds is a pretty normal variation. I can sweat through that much in an hour and drink the stuff as fast.

Through the winter I have "cheated" over Thanksgiving, Christmas, my Birthday, etc and enjoyed Kit Kats, Girl Scout Cookies, Pizza etc and remained at the same weight.
Weight loss is calories in - calories out with the Twinkie diet
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html being the most entertaining example (Professor Haub lost 27 pounds in two months on the diet to illustrate this point). Sugary foods just make that harder to manage because they don't sate your hunger.

I lost over 35 pounds eating and drinking what I usually do - ice cream, pizza, beer, my wife's gourmet cooking including dishes like cassoulet made with both duck and bacon fat, street tacos, etc. Just not too much of it. And riding hard six hours a week. I eat more to accommodate that, but not that much more.

The strategy doesn't produce rapid weight loss (I started keeping track 12 months ago and over that period it's been a steady 2 pounds a month) but it sticks because I don't get fed up eating too much of what food eats and snap when I see tasty treats.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-23-11 at 05:10 PM.