Old 03-25-11, 10:28 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Hey, K'Tesh,

I did another line-of-sight clearance project today. I remembered your request, so this time, I took pictures. However , the pictures are not online yet.
The reason being, our computer crashed and died (Blue Screen of Death). So we have a new computer, But, I have not installed the Canon software that will allow the new computer to process the pictures. Besides a new computer, we are having a Carpenter build us a new computer desk, and he is running in and out, and right now, or any minute now, he will be back to put another coat of varnish on the new desk. So I can't upload anything that might take a significant amount of time. It might be a while for the pictures.

Anyway, the roadside vegetation in question was along the South side of Oyster Bay/Glen Cove road, on the curve leading up to that big hill, and directly across from Beaver Brook road. I really went at the pyrocanthus bushes with the long handled lopping shears this time. I cleared this section of road two years ago, or maybe three, but I didn't get to it last year. I left all the trimmings for the County DPW to clean up (I have a bicycle, not a dump truck).

And I would have rode yesterday, but my car battery died, and I opted to bum a ride off a relative, rather than ride my bike. I wanted to save my energy for this landscaping project. Got the car running today, geez, the battery was low, the testing machine barely registered any Cold Cranking Amps. This is the first time my car wouldn't start in NINE years, likely because I ride my bikes so much and the car hardly gets used.

Happy Saint Patricks Day, but don't forget, this is also the twentieth anniversary of the collapse of the USSR!
Okay, the pictures are ready;

Looking East, Before:

Looking East, After:

Looking West, Before:

Looking West, After:

Maybe these photos don't look impressive, but look at the brush near the utility poles. I realize now that I centered the frame on the brush, but if you re-center your focus on the poles, you will see what I cut. These branches were up to two-inches in diameter. And consider that the bushes had not gone into foliation yet. I left the cut branches on the ground, for someone else to pick up.