View Single Post
Old 03-28-11, 03:13 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnclimber
I've heard that the "conventional wisdom" is to typically fit a cx bike one size lower than the road bike you ride.

This has been largely to the higher bottom bracket that many cx bikes have?

I purchased a Felt F1X cx bike a few years ago (c-list) as a beefy road bike for commuting/training in Seattle's lousy weather and roads; not for racing. Hadn't gotten much use out of it due to terrible brake chatter, but now that that's solved, looking to ride it a lot more. My road bike is a 54cm Cannondale R800 which fits great. The Felt is 56cm, and tends to feel "big", but in a hard to define way. Maybe "perched" is a better description, due to the higher bb. Measured standover is 2" higher on the Felt. It's a little longer than the Cannondale as well.

My inseam is 33.5"; I'm 5'11", so long in the leg and short in the torso for my height. Currently looking to use a cross bike as a long distance training or even light touring bike; racing is a possibility. If the Felt is not a great fit for me and for these uses that's fine, I'll sell it; its replacement would be another cx bike or perhaps a light/sport tourer.

Most important requirement for this bike is as a fun/comfortable ride over century+ distances, and versatility. Could very well be a sport touring bike is the logical choice, but might like to preserve the racing possibility. Good relaxed geometry cx bike could be a very good option--suggestions?

Obviously, vitally important that the bike for this use fits well; but what criteria is applied to cross bikes for fit that might be different/same to road bike criteria, and why? How do your road vs cross bikes sizes compare, or is that even particularly important? What should I be looking for regarding fit re: this Felt or its replacement, and cx bikes in general? Did you apply different criteria re:distance/commuting vs racing for your cx bike, perhaps even owning one for each purpose?

Much appreciate the insight.
Most long-distance riders use a "French" fit which is a little more streched out than other fits.

I'm a lanky 6'0" and I'm riding a size 60 Soma Double Cross. It fits perfectly. It is mostly used for century rides and fitness.

Part of the reason for the fit is the use of a compact handlebar, like the FSA Omega Compact. It reduces the reach to both the brifters and the drops substantially.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-28-11 at 03:16 PM.