Old 03-28-11, 09:41 PM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Already had this discussion with a shop owner that thought using a hacksaw and guide was passee and a waste of time. I actually decided to let him `educate me` with a demo on a new fork, LOL

A tube cutter doesn`t cut metal - it DISPLACES it. Which means that the outside diameter within 2 to 3 mmof the `cut` areas will be too large for the stem to go onto, and the inside dia will be too deformed and small to insert a star-nut.

Of course if you insist you can always check and see for yourself!
I had always used the tube cutter method on the forks I've had over the years with both aluminum and steel steerers. Never had a problem until I did the last one, a Surly 1x1 with a cromoly steel steerer. Measured, cut, filed and installed the star nut then went to assemble on the bike. The stem didn't want to slide onto the steerer, it was tight. I had to use a rubber mallet to get the stem on the steer tube. The stem can spin on the steer tube once installed but it's taught. Another steer tube and stem combo may produce different results. My experience based on Surly 1x1 rigid steel fork and older Synchos stem.

Now I see what you say about the tube "cutter" not really being a cutting tool. The diameter growth at the end of the steerer may be slight, I didn't notice it just by eyeballing, but it's significant enough to prevent my stem from smoothly sliding on.