Old 03-29-11, 06:15 AM
ThatBritBloke
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not certain about your tube theory. Most tube sizes accommodate a range of widths. A typical lightweight Continental 700c tube will fit the following size wheels;

18mm-25mm x 700c
0.75"-1.00" x 27"

A difference of 2mm is insignificant for an inner tube. Some manufacturer's 25mm tyres are narrower than another manufacturer's 23mm tyres. Often it depends on how a particular brand engages with a particular rim.

If I were having frequent issues with punctures around the valve I would check there was no rough edge around the valve hole on the rim, check the rim tape is sitting correctly around the hole (some pvc-type rim tapes can actually cut into a tube), check the valve is unstressed in the hole when re-installing and inflating the tube (ie: sitting perpendicularly to the rim). I would also review how my pump connected to the valve. It should sit squarely with no sideways stress while inflating.

Most tyres should be refitted without the use of tyre-levers. This helps ensure the tube is sitting correctly within the tyre without nicks between the tyre and rim, folds or tugs on the valve.

I'm surprised your brakes don't release enough to permit a 25mm tyre to drop through freely. Are you using very narrow rims?

25mm tyres probably roll easier and more comfortably than 23mm tyres.

Lastly, there are some nasty cheapo tubes out there. Buy a branded type from your LBS.