sonnetg

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon Jack D7 & a cheap xmart MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MilitantPotato
Sometimes.
You need to find a combination that has just enough slack to prevent out-of-round chainrings and cogs from binding, and not so much that the chain skips or derails itself.

If your bike has such a gear combo, and it's not badly cross-chained, you're in luck. If not, carry a chain tensioner. Use a chain-stay mounted tensioner, in case you bend/break the hanger.
Hello, Thanks for the advice. I have managed to damage the rear derailleur/hanger twice within a year. The first time I was able to hand straigten it and limp back home, but the 2nd time, the derailleur got caught with a twig and snapped. I had to walk 5-7 miles and reach my destination. (see the images below).

prevent out-of-round chainrings and cogs from binding,
I know few basics of bike mechanics, but can you please expalin "out-of-round" chairing? And what exactly is binding?

I plan to keep carry a cheap/spare chain with me, so that i can isntall it on spot and ride as if it were a single speed bike. I prefer not to use chain tensioner, as this is meant to be temporary. I guess I need to give it try, but I really dont know how much chain tension would be appropriate, or whether you can have the perfect tension without a chain tensioner? I guess I will have to give it a try and experiment with it.

I will try my best to keep the chain aligned with the chainring and the cogs, so i hope i dont have to deal with annoying clicking noise or, worse, the chain coming off/deralling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3979.jpg (89.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_3978.jpg (94.5 KB, 23 views)