View Single Post
Old 03-30-11, 09:44 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackerdog
OK, pootled around for a couple of hours, stopping to adjust the cable a tiny bit from one side of the marks to the other. The best I seem to be able to get is the 3rd gear slips unexpectedly. It is like the gear cable is suddenly too long. It seems like if I start to shift to 4th but hold it half way, the gear seems to work. If there was an adjustment for every gear in the twist knob, I could fix it.
How about the X-RF8'w' hub? Now that a few people have had a chance to try it, is it worth the time, effort and money to change to that hub?
Is your axle slipping? That's another issue I had which also affected the shifting. Get a chain tug, grease the axle and tighten it down really good:

You only need an anti-turn washer on one side. Also, a lot of chain tugs won't fit the SA axle so get one that does or be prepared to file it.

Also it might need to be broken in if it's been ridden misadjusted. Once I found the correct adjustment for mine it worked alright, but got better with some miles.

Wait, this is for the Downtube Mini right? Does that bike have a unified rear triangle (with the suspension)? If not then I wouldn't expect it to work well (or at all).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (72.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by chucky; 03-30-11 at 09:53 AM.