Old 03-30-11, 01:13 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only started riding regularly last summer, so I don't have the volumes of data, but I share your concern. I am about your age (45 next month), a parent (4 kids, ages 10 to 18) and have responsibilities that preclude me riding as much as I might like. I drive my daughter to school most days (~10 miles), and then I park, get on the bike and ride. My issue is that during the winter months, I started driving a little further and biking a little less. I'm trying to break that habit now. I don't think it is 'age' but there is a value to time which is undeniable - in the mornings, I generally cover the additional 3 miles a bit faster by car, even allowing for traffic delays, and it saves me 10-15 minutes coming home (it is almost all uphill).

Perhaps the secret here is to use your ego - getting on the bike more will make you look and feel younger? Don't compare yourself to the young studs... compare yourself to the old guys (you know, the 40 year old guy in your office who looks 50...) and remind yourself that you don't want to be him? Just a thought.