Old 03-30-11, 07:48 PM
skyzo

Bikes: '84 Cannondale ST500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Putting tires on advice

Ive been ridding for about 2 years now, and call me lucky, but I had never got a flat. Te old tires were some Pasela Tourguards that the previous owner had put on, so I had never even needed to do anything.
Well the tourguards had very little life in them, so I ordered some Vittoria Randonneurs (700x28) to put on to replace them.
Having never put on a tire before, I watched a bunch of youtube videos to see what I should be doing.
After much hassle, I got the old tires off, and replaced the tube. Now comes the hard part, putting the new tire back on.
Right off the bat I break a tire lever trying to get the first bead on.
I finally manage to get the bead on after using a screwdriver, and thus puncturing the tube. So now i have to take it back off. Taking it back off breaks another tire lever.

Repeat this for 2-3 hours and you have my situation. A tire only halfway on, 2 punctured tubes, 3 broken levers, and I scratched the s*** out of my rims with the screwdriver.

Obviously I am doing something wrong and in need of some help. I live in a small town and the closest bike store is over 50 miles away, and with gas near $4 a gallon, thats not too plausible.

Thanks