Old 04-01-11, 07:30 AM
Torrilin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LemondFanForeve
Been shopping/asking around @ some of the LBS's around town here in Pasadena, CA. Ive been to: Pasadena Cyclery, Bicycle Doctor, and a few others. All I seem to get from them is: "We dont have any, and cant get any, sorry". I've been sorta fitted...stood on a 64cm, from a buddy, and I fit on it ok, but, I think I'll need a 65/66cm, as there's a bit more room.

Just tough being this tall, and not being able to find anything. Might have to go the older bike route indeed.
Have you tried doing a test ride? I know Old Town is not terribly bike friendly, but standing over a bike to see if it's a possibility is pretty dumb at your height. You can stand over everything just about . And standover is not going to dictate comfort anywhere near the way top tube length does. And you are very specifically looking at bikes where in the 1980s and 1990s, it was routine for there to be a fixed length of top tube for the top few frame sizes, but longer or shorter seat tubes. I do triage bikes via standover, but I've got a 29" inseam so for a lot of bikes it's simple. Either I can do a safe emergency stop on the smallest frame or I can't. You don't have that luxury.

If they won't let you do a test ride AND they won't stick you up on a trainer, spend your money with someone who will.

My husband is 6'2", and our brother-in-law is 6'6". My dad is 6' even. My dad typically ends up on a 52 or 54cm... he's got a 34" inseam and a short torso, so he prefers a somewhat smaller bike than you'd expect. My husband rides a 58cm, because his inseam is 32" and while he likes a long top tube the reality is all his riding is urban stuff and emergency stops are an issue. The b-i-l would likely fit on a 60 because like my dad, he's all leg, so he'd ride somewhat smaller than you might expect (hasn't been tested yet, but it's quite unlikely that he needs a 66). Based on torso heights, it's even possible he'd do better on a 58cm.