View Single Post
Old 04-04-11, 07:49 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've ridden cross-state tours in NC, GA, VA, OH, IN and WI. I've enjoyed them all. Cycle NC has a week-long, cross-state tour in the fall and a 3-day weekend tour in the spring. I've ridden them both but prefer the spring ride because it is based out of a single town along the coast, so you don't have to pick up and move every day. My main issue with the CNC fall tour is that it always starts in the mountains and ends at the coast, so making travel arrangements is more difficult and expensive than a loop tour. The other issue with CNC is the timing, which is not ideal for me but might be great for others. Early October is usually not a good time for me to take a week off work, and we also sometimes get hurricanes and tropical storms that time of year, but statistically it is about the driest month of the year in NC.

I am riding in the CNC spring tour April 8-10 for the fourth year in a row. I love this ride! The weather is usually ideal (altho windy) with mild temps and lots of trees and flowers blooming. The roads are flat in Eastern NC, so it's a great way to start the season, although the winds can be challenging. The best part is that the ride is based in a single coastal town each year, so you don't have to pick up and move every day, and there are plenty of options for camping, lodging, eating out, entertainment, etc.

Also check out Bike Virginia. They are riding in the New River Valley of Western VA this year (June 24-29) and this beautiful country. You only have to move once, or not at all, depending on where you stay. My brother and I have signed up and are staying in a motel in Radford, so we won't have to relocate at all.