Old 04-05-11, 01:41 PM
GrayJay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
what brazing method did you use?
I used Oxy/acetalene torch and brass brazing rod. I was more worried about achieving a really strong braze fillet attachment for the cantilever lugs than about keeping temperature low with expen$ive silver braze rod (which doesnt fillet as well eithor). I have done plenty of welding on automotive fabrication projects but this was the first time I have turned the torch on one of my bikes. I read all the framebuilder tips on brazing, got some 1/16" low-fuming brass rod and flux that seemed to melt and fillet on the tubes much easier than the 1/8" rod I already had. I was carefull not to overheat the steel, just got things hot enough to flow the brass. At the same time I also added a buch of new cable stops to better suit CX cables/routing, added a pump holder peg, chain holder peg and replaced the damaged seatpost binder. Vast majority of the time spent on the project involved using small files to shape the parts for a precise fit and to clean up the brass fillets after the torch work. THe file metal shaping work was intricate but degree of control you can achive shaping metal is impressive and rewarding. I will shoot some pictures and document before I shoot the bike with paint.