Old 04-07-11, 09:42 AM
fsbk366

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear issue with 2010 Marin San Anselmo

Hey guys/gals,
I am new to the forum, and new to biking in general. At least since being a kid. So I found a really good deal (hopefully it stays that way) on an almost new Marin San Anselmo. The previous owner had it strapped to the roof of his car on the way home from the shop, where it came loose and tumbled down the road. There are some minor scratches here are there, but it is solid and everything runs aligned. Everything except for the gears that is.

I took it out for a ride, and quickly found that the rear gears are not all functioning properly. It is a flawless smooth ride in gears 1, 2, 7, and 8. 3 and 6 are a little choppy, while 4 and 5 are unridable. By choppy and unridable I mean as I peddle, it constantly tries to cluck into another gear.

The derailer does not 'look' bent to me, but I don't know crap about bikes, so I could easily be wrong. Just seams that if it were bent, it would affect all gears, not just those in the middle. I am hoping it is a simple adjustment fix that wont cost money. Anyone have any ideas before I have to take this thing to the shop?