View Single Post
Old 04-10-11, 02:00 AM
stoddcrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Top Gunner
There's always a way to break any lock, quickly. I've heard the argument about more tools, but that wouldn't stop me if I were a thief. If I didn't have a problem using a bottle jack or an angle grinder, using a pair of bolt cutters wouldn't bother me much, especially since it's only a few more seconds. And I would think that most thieves that have elevated to the level of using angle grinders and bottle jacks are already equipped w/ bolt cutters, but not necessarily the other way around. Just a few thoughts, not necessarily right or wrong.

I would be inclined to go with one u-lock & one chain, vs. two u-locks. With that said, the NY LS & the NY FU are both better locks than the Keeper 880. They are, in fact, two of the best on the market, so why not use them? The Keeper 880, in my opinion, is a waste of weight. I don't think it's a very good chain. Also, like "meanwhile" wrote, try to minimize the space left open by either the chain or u-locks, for bottle jacks, but also for leverage attacks.

Good luck, & regardless of my or other's opinions, do what works best for you.
So go with the two U-Locks is what you are saying?

Also what confuses me is the recommendation of a chain at all. Any chain is only as strong as it's weakest point. The best chain locks are sold with padlocks that are essentially miniature U-Locks. So I fail to see why anyone would recommend a chain lock and a U-Lock when they both are dependent on a U-Lock (Any tools used to break a U-Lock could also be used to defeat a chain because the chains padlock is itself a U-Lock). Am I failing to see something obvious?