Old 04-10-11, 01:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
If possible, buy two front calipers. Drill out the back of the fork as FBinNY suggests, and use the other on the rear with a standard nut instead of the allen head -- no drilling needed!
This is good advice because drilling out the rear is next to impossible. Using the front brake as the rear solves the problem nicely for the cost of a regular 6,, nut and washer.

If you have to pay much more for 2 fronts vs. a normal pair, you can usually get by with a pair, and use the rear up front. The bolt will be just long enough to clear one wall of classic steel forks, (measure the crown wall thickness from the bottom and confirm that the rear bolt is at least 6mm longer than that). You'll need a longer nut to reach, and the length will be so critical that you'll probably need to buy an overly long one and saw or file it to a custom length.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.