View Single Post
Old 06-11-05, 11:04 AM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The chances that your chain "was cut" are just about zero. Your chain went over the top of the pole, or you forgot to lock the shackle. I've walked past bike racks where a lock was open, next to the bike. Someone got the lock out, their cell phone rang, or something, they got distracted and walked away. A few weeks ago, I came home with groceries, left my bike on the front porch, and went to put the groceries away. Next morning, there was my bike. Still on the front porch. NOT locked.

Lock got picked? Not many highly experienced locksmiths could open the new Kryptonite locks in less than ten minutes. And, a crook with THAT exceptional level of skills would be out stealing Cannondales, not wasting his time and skills on an old chain.

"Cycling Plus" said it took them eight minutes to cut a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain with a powered cutting tool. Took ten minutes for the New York 3000, which is the toughest lock sold in the USA. So, that chain went "over the top" of the pole, or was never fully locked from the git-go.

Over the years, a number of folks have claimed that a top-of-the-line Kryptonite lock was broken, picked, or cut. Not ONE of those people could produce any remnants of the lock...I guess we are supposed to think that criminals are just "neat freaks", who always clean up their mess. "Neatness" has never been a trait of any of the crooks I've known.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 06-11-05 at 11:09 AM.