Old 04-14-11, 10:18 PM
SSbalt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImChris
Please re-read everything Phil just said, then when you are done, read it again. Take his advice. Head to the local bike shop and see what size frame you would use.

As for 'performance upgrades' on the Kilo. Just get the bike and ride it. You will gain performance without changing a thing with a good amount of seat time at first. I will say however, that after riding the bike for a little bit, you'll probably want to change the gear ratio to fit your riding style. But that is something you can figure out after you first get the bike, then ride it around for a bit. You cannot possible think of performance upgrades if you do not have some seat time on the bike yet. You have to ride the bike, get used to it, do research on here regarding 'upgrades', then while riding start to think of areas on the bike you might want to improve that would increase performance. At least thats what i did. I rode my bike stock for about 3 months. First thing I changed out was my saddle and bars. I didnt like drops for street riding, so i switched to bullhorns because they were more comfortable. I also did not like my seat, so i got fitted for a seat and bought one. Both upgrades (Not big like new crankset or wheels) gained me lots of performance because I was more comfortable riding and could ride harder.

.Chris
This all sounds very reasonable to me. Thanks for the advice - I was just getting a little worried because I'm new to this stuff, and you see posts saying how bad stock components are on these lower-end bikes.

Random observation - the bullhorn style handlebars do look a bit more comfortable for all-around riding, but like you said - I'll just have to get some saddle time in and decide for myself what I want to change or upgrade.

Question - Is there a resource(on this site or otherwise) where I can find a detailed lay out of a SS bike so I can familiarize myself with the names of all the different components? I.E. a picture of a SS with different parts labeled like the Cog, bottom bracket, crank, etc.

Also, I just measured my inseam wearing mesh shorts and it was 31.5''(very erotic), What size frame would suit me? I know I *should* go to the LBS and get fitted but I went there already and they are the pushiest sales staff I have ever encountered - and I work in sales. They basically harassed me the entire short time I was in there and I swore I would never give them any of my money. I am in the process of finding a better LBS but I would like to order a bike sooner rather than later. So bare with me.

Thanks again for answering my dumb questions, I promise to learn these things and answer other peoples' dumb questions on here down the road.

Last edited by SSbalt; 04-14-11 at 10:23 PM.