Old 04-15-11, 07:03 AM
achoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy Bones
Forget it.

Any technology that excludes water will by definition retain sweat. Apart from sweat, consider the pure Newtonian physics involved in cycling in the rain. Water flying at every seam and crease from every direction WILL get in. Reality.

Yes, wettness is a drag to deal with, but if you focus on the really important issue, it's hypothermia that you need to accomodate. Everything else is just comfort and mood...the realm of dairy cattle and non-athletes.

If you're cycling in the rain, you'll be wet [rain or/and sweat]. If it's deal-killer, stay inside.
It's somewhat possible, but you need:

1. Good waterproof cycling shoes to begin with. I have a pair of Shimano SH-MW80s, IIRC. Winter MTB shoes, pretty waterproof. Also expensive.
2. Good shoe covers. No, they're not redundant.
3. Tights that are at the least VERY water resistant on the front of the lower legs, and that also have a zip cuff that's large enough to fit OVER your shoes/shoe cover tops. If you put the cuffs inside the shoe and/or shoe cover tops, water will flow down your legs right into the insides of your shoes.

That sufficed to keep my feet almost totally dry for about three hours in a pretty hard 35F rain. Of course, I did a four-hour ride.

And if it hadn't been that cold out, that setup would have soaked my feet with sweat.