Old 04-15-11, 11:54 AM
megarot
this side up

Bikes: Nothing.. last bike stolen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchigirll: I've seen that bike. Indiana is a long way from me. I have no car and I live in the city. I can afford to take the trains out to the suburbs but usually when it's a bike in the suburbs its one of the 'better' deals that gets snatched up before I even have a chance to buy my train ticket - literally.

Septacycles: Yeah I'm interested in getting a bike from a BF member, no problem there. I would like a quality steel frame bike with lugs that's going to handle the rough city streets but also something that I can take out for a longer ride (30 miles or so). I have another commuter/beater for my other city transportation but for this one I'd like something with nicer components but I don't need top of the line (unless it comes on it and in my price I'll take it!)

My budget right now is relatively on the low side and that's primarily one of the reasons I'm looking at used and not walking into my LBS and getting a new bike. I would like to stay around $300 but I'll just have to see. I figure if I was building a bike I would be able to find used parts from co-ops close by to keep some of the expense down and grab my main components off ebay.

I mean it literally when I say I see Schwinn Varsity's priced at $250 on a REGULAR basis. A used bike shop tried to sell me a used Schwinn World (not even a Sport) for $250. So in Chicago, if I'm going to buy a 'complete' bike in my price range from Craigslist then it's like I can count on getting the lowest quality.