View Single Post
Old 04-15-11, 07:01 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Since you are car free, the best place for a deal IMHO is ebay. There, it really doesn't matter whether you have a car or not. Scooping deals on C/L is going to require a car, and to move lightning fast.

The good news as you already know is that you are literally saving many thousands of $$ a year being car free. So if it costs $50 or $100 more to get a bike, you are still way, way, ahead.

+1 Complete bikes are the way to go. Even if you don't like the components, you can sell them off and recoup some of your investment. A complete bike also avoids the whole why doesn't this part fit, what size BB do I need, why can't I find a seat post, brake calipers with inadequate reach, etc. Then you have the whole tool thing. OK, I love tools, and I am over the top on bicycle tools right now, but I have a lot of money wrapped up in tools.

As far as clearcoat on a steel frame, be careful, some report spidering of rust underneath it (I've never tried it, so no personal experience here). There is a reason steel frames are painted. The other problem with clear coat of a frame is IMHO, the bike loses its identity, its soul. Part of what I find attractive about vintage bikes are the original decals, original (sometimes wild) paint schemes, etc. And Treks had awesome, durable paint, perhaps the best in the industry.

^ What he says ! Every point - Totally!