Old 04-15-11, 11:14 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by cobracommand0
First post on the forum, so howdy howdy!

I'm currently rebuilding a 1988 Schwinn Caliente and I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on the bike. The bike currently has the 1988 dual pivot sidepull caliper brakes, and I'm looking to go to something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/NR-Shimano-600-U...#ht_746wt_1097

I'm questioning my logic in swapping to something like those brakes, because I'm not sure if that center pin will slide all the way through the mount hole on my frame. I've read the Sheldon Browne article about finagling the shorter pin on an older frame, which is what initially caused the self doubt (I didn't realize that they had gone to a shorter center pin).

Has anyone made a swap like this? Any constructive criticism would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Cobra
OK- the brake calipers you pointed out and the calipers that came stock on your bike are single-pivot models, not dual-pivot. I'll bet my back teeth they're 100% interchangeable. However, I'm not sure they're an "upgrade", since they're the same general design.

What's wrong with the existing brakes? Not enough stopping power? Sticky action? I bet they'll be 100% improved if you just replace the cables, housings, and brake shoes.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..