View Single Post
Old 04-16-11, 01:38 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Until it all warms up- Carrying a bit of blubber is not a bad thing to do. One reason I prefer to ride solo is that I do not have to keep to someone elses pace. I do a few 20 milers with around 600ft of climbing with nothing too severe and keep to an average of around 15mph. I get the legs turning and the occasional bit of breathing hard but nothing to wear me out but in a few weeks time there is my first serious ride of the year. Organised ride and only 40 miles with one slope in it. Problem is that it is across the marshes and plenty of short straights with tight bends so plenty of braking and accelerating. Try to do that at 16mph and if I do--I know it. If I don't manage that speed- then I also know it.

But can't wait till I am fit enough to tackle the hills round here. Plenty of them but none more than 1 mile long but an average of 10 to15%. 3 or 4 of them on a ride and it is a good ride. I say I can't wait to do them but it is that fitness that is holding me back. Just can't seem to get that right now. Perhaps I ought to join a club where the other riders will try to kill me off before I am ready.

Spike Milligan