Old 04-17-11, 05:18 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Repair or replace Shimano back brake lever?

So, stupid me decided to reach up and scratch my nose while braking. Turns out that lifting my hand off the front brake lever doesn't make this a smarter idea; as soon as my arms moved out of the brace position I went forward, hit the handle bars, had the handle spin around and trap my left leg against the frame, then the bike went over forwards and locked the right handle against the ground.

A quick tension of the muscle on that leg when the pressure came down kept it from getting broken; I have a huge lump there, but it hasn't bothered me in the 13 miles I rode after that. Amazingly, using my forearm to stop myself on the ground didn't skin me alive. No damage.

That front right brake lever is now exaggerated. Right in the center of the lever, it bends out forward at a 45 degree angle; the curve is usually much less pronounced.

Repair? Replace? I can pop just the aluminum lever arm off and put a new one on, right?

EDIT: The right lever on this is damaged:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...1.-type-..html

I've seen the GT Tachyon 3.0 listed as having an "SL-R221" but Shimano has no such product, so I guess it's an ST-R221. Anyway it's that deal. And the diagram doesn't show it as a separate part, so I guess that rules out replacement...

Last edited by bluefoxicy; 04-17-11 at 05:24 PM.