View Single Post
Old 04-18-11, 11:54 AM
Recumbentracer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did look at that class of lighting for adapting to the upright bike, but in the end there were a number of limitations:
1. The optics on the BULL are for a horizontally mounted light (realize Whelen has a vertical version somewhere).
2. It's physically HUGE compared to the DS. The DS front face is only 2"x1", compared to 4.37"x1.66" for the BULL. I market the DS to roadies who don't want much extra weight or a big bulky light.
3. The DS incorporates li-ion battery management whereas the BULL does not. Although you could run the BULL on an SLA, again the li-ion is the way to go for lightweight and long run times.
4. No brightness control on the BULL. Need to be able to throttle back at night. The DS is controllable from 1Watt of output up to a FULL 10 watts.
5. You haven't experienced a BRIGHT red LED until you see almost 10 Watts of pure red coming out of 6 CREE emitters. The DS is in a category all it's own when it comes to daytime visibility.
6. Easy quick-release mounting and adjustability. When you pay this much for a taillight...($200+), you definitely need to be able to quickly release it from your bike and put it in your pocket.

So yes, the Nova Bull certainly could have a place on the back of the bike, but it just wasn't the best solution for me. By the time you add a li-ion pack, charger, wire, switch, and some sort of mounting system to the BULL, you're more than half-way to the cost of the DS. I sell the DS as a complete kit, optimized for seat stay mounting, but it can also be mounted on the seat post as well, for taller riders with more exposed seat post length.

Full tech brochure at: https://sites.google.com/site/designshinelighting/
(Now working on version 3 model with anodized case)
Safe riding!