View Single Post
Old 04-23-11, 06:48 PM
Tansy

Bikes: Novara Safari(2009)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost never get real bored on calm sunny days, but now and then I just want time to pass quick as possible during foul weather or in the face of a headwind. Here is what I sometimes do to keep myself interested.

- News radio if I can get a signal. Instead of headphones, I use this type of speaker secured with a rubber and velcro mount. It's pretty darn loud.
- Music if I'm not sick of everything on my mp3 player yet.
- Scan the road for windfall of any sort. Normally the best I can expect are a few un-broken bungee cords, but I've found some serviceable water bottles. Discarded t-shirts(Who the heck keeps throwing these out their windows?) and handkerchiefs get recycled as grease rags. In farmland, you might spot some fresh produce fallen off the backs of trucks at the right time of the year.
- Here's an odd one: scan the roadside for flowers. On really dull days, I try to keep my spirits up by decorating my bike a bit. Whatever the common ditchweeds of the area are, I'll use them to brighten up my gear. If nothing else it gives me an excuse to stop for a minute or two. Fragrant plants like wormwood, woodruff, or tansy I stuff in my clothing panniers to keep things smelling better than awful.
- Look for stealth camping spots, if you're into that sort of thing. Knowing for sure where I can stop if I use the same route again gives me more confidence for next time. I also make note of good rest stops, which towns have reasonably prices groceries, where to stop for water. Organizing and putting them on a map has become somewhat of a hobby in and of itself for me.
- Eat. I'm something of a boredom eater, and it's no different on a bike, so I'm fairly often eating trailmix out of my handlebar bag or tearing up a hard roll.

There's a woman with a crazyguy journal who'd occasionally read books while pedaling her recumbent trike all over North America. One of the best selling points for the things I've heard yet.