View Single Post
Old 04-24-11, 01:49 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
From the looks of it, the Gemini Titan is the same thing as the MagicShine. Not exactly, but it looks like it could be just another generation of MagicShine light. Maybe it's a MS with slightly upgraded components.

FWIW, the only problem I've ever had with my MagicShine is that the wire tends to fray at the connector where I unplug it every day. After about 4 months it's really frayed so I replace it. Replacement cables are about $3 each from DealExtreme, so if I replace them every 4 months, say twice a year given that I don't really use the light in the summer, after 10 or 15 years I'll have almost made up the difference in cables to the next most expensive light.

Actually I put a new cable on just last week, and I am trying out a new strain relief; I split a 2" length of 3/8" plastic hose, put it around the connector and filled it with epoxy. It seems solid as a rock now, we'll see how well it lasts.

Personally if I JUST wanted a headlight, I'd just get a flashlight. My P7 flashlight works fine. I like the MagicShine because I also use their taillight and I really feel that such a light is necessary for me on my commute - 50 to 70 MPH cars on 2 lane roads, no shoulders and all weather conditions. The MS tail is $30.

I ride with the P7 flashlight on the bar next to the MagicShine, but I only use it when the MS fails. That's only happened once in the last 6 months or so, when I forgot to charge the battery.