View Single Post
Old 04-25-11, 07:04 AM
clearwaterms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tips on how to build a bike on a budget

this spring I find my trusty entry level mountain bike needing an overhaul. The rear wheel is in pretty bad shape (LBS says I should replace it due to my size (225#, 6'2)

Due to a crash last year the seat needs to be replaced, and the bottom bracket makes a funny noise when I ride I think some water got in it, and also it gets loose every 50 miles or so.

Finally, I need a new set of tires, as the ones I have are all but bald (knobbies and mostly road riding)

In speaking with a few bicycle buddies, they have suggested that the type of riding that I do (fitness, pleasure) I would be better suited to a faster bike, and both of them have suggested a CX style bike to tackle the crushed limestone and paved trails that my rides find me on.

A member of my family has offered up a few old parts (providing he can find them) these include a bar with shifters, and the front and rear derailleurs. He promised they were not pretty, but would get the bike rolling.

So here are my questions...

I would need the frame set, crank, cassette, seat and seat tube, head set, wheel set, tires and tubes? Am I forgetting anything?

How can I do this on a budget? I have been looking around online and in reading some forums, it appears that people build bikes on a budget of around $700, but everything I am looking at it would cost me at least $1000 or more. I can't get "congressional approval" on a $1000 purchase when in her eyes, I could repair my bike for $300ish.

Please help me to point out where I can save every dollar possible? are used parts from ebay a reliable source? used frames, used wheels? Nashbar has a $100 CX frame along with a $120 Carbon CX fork, this is cheaper than the $400 I was seeing for most frame sets when searching online.

Finally, I would probably have to have this built for me, would most LBS's allow me to bring them a box of parts and put it together? If so, how much would they charge me to do it?

$100 Nashbar frame
$120 Nashbar fork
$ 50 Nashbar Crank (compact double)
$ 30 Nashbar ISIS bottom bracket
$ 57 Shimano 10 spd cassette
$ 30 Nashbar 10 spd chain
$ 35 Nashbar Carbon fiber seat post
$ 60 Saddle (this one is a guess)
$170 Veulta HD wheel set
$ 80 tires and tubes
= $732 - is this about as cheap as I can build this bike? and if so, are these quality parts for the build? plus labor.