View Single Post
Old 06-13-05, 02:39 PM
tom cotter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwightonabike
Permathrin (sp?) works well. You spray it on clothes, shoes and stuff (dont spray on your skin!) and it lasts for weeks.

A tick must be on you for a significant period of time for you to contract lyme disease. It must fill itself and regurgitate back into you before you have a significant chance of exposure. This takes about 24 hours. Check yourself daily and you shouldn't have any problems. They do leave a nasty, itchy bump no matter how long they are on. I just pulled one off last night! Little Ba$tards!
Permathrin? Is this it's comercial name? Where do I buy this?
I've been Canoeing/kayaking in the pine barrens for ten years. Mostly on rivers and streams in the middle of tick country. No problem until two years ago when one of the little suckers got me on the upper inner thigh. Last year I pulled another one off, of all places, my penis. They do seem to like that general area of the body. For the first one I waited about a month, the time necessary for a more accurate detection, to get a lyme test. Last year, no test, just waited for symtoms that never showed. For anyone who suffers a similar indignity of being bitten on their privates, the tell tale bullseye rash can appear on the upper thighs or lower abdomen. Also, a rash doesn't appear in every case, so know and watch for other symptoms. Still trying to figure out how I got bitten while in a canoe?