View Single Post
Old 04-26-11, 12:22 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Joshua, in the last picture the support from the parking meter post would stabilize the bow well enough that someone with a hacksaw would be able to get a pretty darn good purchase on the bow for a cut. Is the Ti metal tough enough to at least make this a long and grueling job?

To put it in perspective this question is coming from a guy that thinks it's not a big deal to go buy steel stock in 20 foot lengths and cut through 3/4 inch round bar with no vise and just a curb step in the parking lot of the metal supplier to let me put the three pieces into the back of my truck. All it takes is a foot on the bar and to keep it in close to the curb. The parking meter or a tree would accomplish the same thing.

I tend to go by the idea that NO lock is totaly theft proof. Instead the whole idea is to make it less desireable for any number of reasons related to the lock and where it's locked so as to encourage the low life scum to move on to easier pickings. So the key is for the TiGr to be more trouble than it's worth.

Frankly I've always thought that a hungry timber wolf with bad attitude would be a great security feature for a locked bike. But I ran into troubles with not being able to approach my own bike so it was back to the drawing board for me. On the whole I like your TiGr idea better than the wolf... Having said that the cost of your lock is way beyond what I'd be willing to pay. But then I have not had a bicycle stolen from me. If I had then I strongly suspect that at $150 or so that I'd think this was a great deal provided it does the job of not being beaten by easy methods.