View Single Post
Old 06-13-05, 06:53 PM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
Thanks, Keith, well said. This thread does nothing more than confirm my suspicions about the ridiculous elitist attitude of some bicyclists.
Well said, randya.

You ride a bike, you're a cyclist. Period.

Originally Posted by Dang
a true cyclist is anyone who is "addicted" to riding. Someone who can work on thier own bike. Someone who envees bike messengers.
I'm not addicted to anything. But I consider myself a cyclist. A skier. An aviator. All activities I enjoy in varying degrees of participation. I can work on my own bike, but not my skis (well, I can sharpen and wax them) or airplane. Does this detract from my being a skier or aviator?

As for a bike messenger... I don't for a second envy them; wouldn't want to be one, wouldn't want to get paid like one, wouldn't want to ride in the concrete jungle. Does that make me less of a cyclist in any way whatsoever? I don't think so.

I drive a car, but don't race. Does that make me not a driver? I drive to and from work. Sometimes I enjoy the drive, regardless of the destination. Does that make me a driver?

For those that try to exclude others from their own little classification - does it make you feel more important to say that someone who rides less than you isn't in your group? I don't get the point of the whole question, I guess.