Thread: Thieves
View Single Post
Old 04-26-11, 10:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
While installing Ortlieb security cables on my wife's Ortlieb Packer Plus panniers I wondered why Ortlieb did not make anything for the the Classic Backrollers. I fabricated these and installed them on both my front and rear Ortlieb Classic Roller panniers. A small lock will connect the two rear panniers to the rack. A rubber band holds them to the buckle, out of the spokes until they are needed. Most opportunistic thieves don't usually carry cutters or a 3mm allen wrench. Serious theives will have tools that will take care most of our safeguards in relatively short order. We don't usually worry about security and do the usual cable or U-lock. This summer there is a good possibility that we may be touring in areas where a little extra precaution seems prudent.

They are just 1/16 cable which can be cut with a pair of wire cutters or a big pair of scissors, but they might slow down the opportunistic thief. I ordered some replacement clips (they come from Ortlieb, 5 to a package), and swaged the cable trough a 1/2"x2" piece of aluminum 1/16" plate.

PS. A raccoon carrried off one of my front panniers (the food one) right out from underneath our tent's rainfly. We'd been having a war with them all night, but I still didn't hear the rustleing until he had it about 15 yards from the tent. They also unzipped my wife's bento bag on her bike and stole her M&Ms. That is the only thievery we've experienced while touring.

We did have waitress at a little diner in Cleveland tell us to bring our bike inside "or they might not be there when you go out". We took them inside.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-26-11 at 10:43 PM.