Old 04-27-11, 01:15 PM
Brimstone_
noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
also, because i didn't buy at an LBS, it has kind of forced my hand to learn how to do the vast majority of my own wrenching at the local bike co-op, and that has been a wonderful experience that might not have happened had i stayed with my old habit to drop my bikes off at the LBS and let them do the work (and pay for it). i've found that bike wrenching is almost as fun as bike riding. the deeper you go into this hobby.........
I agree with you on this. I have taken bikes to the LBS many times over the past years out of convenience. It was really laziness that kept me from learning about bicycle maintenance. I recently purchased a Bikes Direct bike myself and I vowed to myself that I would do the work myself. It has been fun and much easier than I anticipated.

As far as the Bikes Direct bike itself goes, mine is a Motobecane Sprint and I am very impressed. The aluminum frame (Taiwan) seems to be very high quality and equal to the name brand bikes. It had a few lower tier components, but nothing that would be too difficult to switch out if needed. Great value.