View Single Post
Old 04-28-11, 03:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Just make sure you call her regularly (and keep the phone charged so you can call her/it doesn't cut out and she thinks you've been mugged).
The trouble with that is that you create expectations, and when they are not met, panic can set it. This very thing happened last year. A family posted urgent messages on forums about their "lost" son when he did not check in for several days as usual. The kid had no idea he was "lost" because he wasn't. Complete irrational panic on the part of the parents created by the expectation of regular calls.

At least remind her that you might accidentally let the battery die and that you might not have service for days.

Personally, I have a hard time with the fear thing. If you live in an urban area like I do, I have a dollar to a donut that says you face more dangers every day than you ever will out on the road. For instance, rarely does a day go by that I don't have to dodge some law-breaking motorist while walking around town. Things can happen anywhere at any time. Take reasonable precautions to prevent what you can, but don't ride around looking over your shoulder every second because you are worried that Godzilla is after you. You won't have fun.