carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by idiq
Wonderful information, thanks everyone!

FWIW and since I want to get my "feet wet" I'll be riding a T1 (red) with Ominum cranks and Am Classic track wheels. If I read that correctly, I should avoid the supersonics for these wheels? I'll also be doing cbcBraden's Go Fast Turn Left this summer (concrete, outdoor) with the same setup.
Sorry to be confusing. There is a difference between the "best tire" and "a list of suitable tires". The list of suitable tires will be very long and will probably include any tire from a name brand manufacturer. "Best" is going to be a personal thing. In cycling there are some things that are clearly the top 5 or best. Others not so much.

I say go for the Supersonics (because I've tried them), Gatorskins, GP4000s, or some of the other high quality tires mentioned in this thread. But, weight and/or aerodynamics shouldn't be one of your criteria for deciding for a tire for training wheels. A narrow 19mm tire will be just fine for lots of tracks, but having ridden a couple of tracks and also ridden 19mm tires, I prefer to have 22 or 23mm tires because they sit out wider. This wideness makes them less aero...but helps with gripping when going up and down track on steep tracks a low speeds as in match sprints or whatnot.

Also, don't over think it!

I know people waaay faster than me that train on Conti Gatorskin clinchers and have won masters national championships and masters world championships on Conti Sprinters (a thick and heavy training tubular).

Last edited by carleton; 04-29-11 at 08:06 AM.