Roasted
huffy owns

Bikes: Catrike Expedition, KHS XC 204 mountain bike, Nashbar SS Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Expatriate
Mr. Roasted, from what I can gather, you have mucked uo the dish of your wheel. Basically, your hub is no longer centered in relationship to the rim. It is offset to one side. Assuming it is centered in the dropouts, the rim itself should be of equal distance to the fork legs. To compensate for the bend in your rim, you have pulled it too far to one side. I'm willing to bet that it's no longer equally tensioned.

Search the forums, Sheldon Brown, or the Park Tools site for details on how this happened, and how to correct it. It's not difficult, just a pain until you've done it a few times.
Yeah, I got to the point I said f*ck it and loosened all of the spokes and kind of restarted. I did manage to get the wheel straightened again, but it has some bends in it I can't seem to find with my trusty workshop pencil sliding against the rim as an indicator. I'd much rather just get the stand due to the fact I will be at the beach in 2 weeks with my bike, so I'd rather get everything done while I can (and get it done right) before I leave.

It really stunned me how I somehow got the wheel PERFECT, no bends whatsoever, but it was obviously offset. I was kicking myself in my own ass for quite some time.

I just wanted to make sure that the stand I buy will prevent what happened to me the first time, which is the wheel being straight BUT still being offset to one side. If either stand prevents this, then we have a new winner.