Old 05-01-11, 07:49 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by chickonbike
Hi everyone,
Since deciding to cycle across America I've had to rethink many times for various reasons. My original plan to leave late August/early September is no longer ideal and I hope to set off by mid-July already. This means that I also need to rethink my route. I'm choosing between crossing on a northern path - Seattle to New York or Boston, via Montana, N or S Dakota, Minnesota, etc, or heading out from San Francisco (to same final destination) in a slight arch, via Nevada, (Utah), Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

Do any of you have any advice for me on which way you think would be better and why? I've checked average highs for the portions of Nevada that I might cross and they don't seem to go much higher than the 90's, but I wonder if that's correct... Meanwhile, the northern states are beautiful, but this is my first proper long distance trip and I wonder if all those hills will be overachieving.
I would advise considering one of the ACA routes. I think that the Trans America, the Lewis and Clark to the Trans America, or the Northern tier would all be good choices for a mid July start in the West. Personally I think the TA is pretty hard to beat if you want a good sampling of what the US has to offer.