Old 05-03-11, 06:10 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by luxlumis

I don’t think that I’ll go for a trailer just to avoid panniers. The only advantage of the trailer would be that I might be able to get rid of the panniers. But the disadvantages (even more weight than panniers, less enjoyable riding, more difficult to use with planes/trains/busses) outweigh that.
You've never tried a trailer, obviously.

A good trailer often weighs less than a full set of waterproof pans.

Less enjoyable? I almost stopped touring, years ago, because I was so sick of the way a fully loaded touring bike handled. Towing a trailer is almost like riding an unloaded bike, you just go a little slower.

If you're taking a lot of buses and trains/planes, it seems to me that you should just carry less stuff in general. How much cooking and camping gear do you really need when much of your traveling is on a plane? Still, some trailers break down pretty good and you can put the wheel/s and tow arm into the trailer and then have just one compact piece of luggage.