Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
OK, fine. A part of the hub that isn't supposed to come off has come off - in a novel and unexpected way. No questions there.

And if it does say Shimano on the item then I'm not going to argue with that.

But the protrusion you've circled is way too short to get a solid engagement, if that's all the protrusion you can get from the body fixing bolt. That can't be what was meant to hold that thing together.
Although the bicycle industry does come up with some rather sloppy engineering from time to time, something like two turns steel into aluminium would be rich even for them.

I'm still thinking that the important threads are on the inside of the splined bit, which was meant to be a press fit into the central body of the hub. The threads you're seeing in the hub are probably just runout from running the tap past the maximum insertion depth. My hubs have plenty of that.
If splined nub is a good and tight fit into splined recess, I'd still be ready to try a repair - to save the hassle of a wheel rebuild. A good clean, a good metal-on-metal glue and you're all set.

There's threads in that splined bit and in the hub body, the threads in the hub are the ones that stripped. The bolt, in the pic, is loose. I think what happened is someone (the former owner of the wheel) had it apart and did not tighten the bolt, so nothing was holding it on but the force of the axle/quick release. This caused play in the hub which I just thought was an axle or bearing issue.. but in reality the bolt was in there wearing away at the threads. Or, maybe just the weight of me and the gear caused the bolt to ream out the aluminum threads in the hub and work it's way out.

I was dumb because when the hub failed on the hill I just assumed it was a bent axle but that wasn't the issue at all it was the freehub coming loose from the hub body.

Either way in that pic the bolt can go way farther in than it shows, when I took the pic I didn't know what I was looking at, didn't even know there was a bolt in there as I never removed a freehub before. Oh well now I know what to check!