Old 10-09-02, 01:49 PM
Dwagenheim
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
10.3.02 Leaving Vancouver, Entering the U.S.

After breakfast with Don and Mieke, I decided to head out of town today rather than tomorrow. The sun came up and I thought I’d take advantage. I wanted to visit Dan, who I’d met in the Queen Charlotte Islands, but transportation to the city seemed a bit difficult to work out and plus I thought I should get a move on. I got my things together and headed off around noon. Mieke packed me a few sandwiches for lunch and saw me off down the steep Dawes Hill. The ride out of Coquitlam was just as confusing as the ride in, but I managed to get out of the trafficy areas and into more rural parts, which made cycling more comfortable. There were some very punishing hills leaving town but before long I was near the U.S. border. I ate my lunch and spent the last of my Canadian coin money in a nearby gas station. The border crossing was quick and painless. I continued to follow my adventure cycling map through farming communities of northern Washington. I approached the town of Ferndale, outside of Bellingham, around 5:30pm. I stopped at the library to use the internet, as I needed to contact my friend Misty to see where she lived. Her phone number was either out of order, or I wrote in down wrong. It turned out she gave me the wrong number but fortunately, she had emailed me the correct one. So I headed towards Bellingham, riding on a side road near the busy Interstate 5. I gave Misty a call as I got closer to town. She wasn’t home and her housemate, Jessica, was a little cautious and didn’t want to give directions to a stranger. I was still about 45 minutes away so I just cruised into Bellingham and gave her another call. She still wasn’t home but Jessica had some information on where to find her. So I rode to the Ale House and met up with Misty. We hung out with some of her fellow grad students and then headed back to her place for some dinner. I met Misty’s other housemate, Laurel and their friend Jessica and then hopped in the shower to clean up. We ate some pasta and salad for dinner and then after some conversation, called it a night and went to bed. (67 miles)

Peace

Dave
Whirrled Peas - No War!