View Single Post
Old 05-08-11, 05:48 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
But when we factored in my size, his concern over crosswinds went away, and he said that, to him, it boiled down to the durability of the 303 vs. the aero of the 404. Both are rated for up to 225#, which is one of the reasons I'm going with Zipp. Most others have a 200# or lower limit. I don't want to be right at the edge of the limit.
Hi AzTR, I agree that you don't want to be near the weight limit. One thing to consider is that the rim sidewall on the newest Zipp rims are angled (vs straight) and require that you adjust your brake pads accordingly. This isn't an issue if you only have one set of these wheels or if all of your wheels are Zipp. The issue is that if you change between Zipp and "normal" wheels you have to readjust your brake pads. At a minimum this is a pain. For me it was a deal killer last year. I confirmed this situation with one of the testers from Pez Cycling. This is also too bad as I really liked the 2002 Zipp 303 wheels that I raced on for 5 years.

Originally Posted by Hermes
I never think about age or gender when it comes to these matters. It was not until about an hour ago it occurred to me that I was 40 years older than them.
Hi Hermes, as you know when I train at the LA Velodrome a lot of the riders at the session are "younger." I take that into account when I am suffering trying to hold a wheel -- meaning it's OK for me to be suffering. Of course, suffering to hold the wheels of young and fit women is not the worst thing in the world.

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I read somewhere that hard "track cement" gives lower rolling resistance than "regular cement". Any advice on what cement to use with the tubulars I'm getting?
The only thing that I've heard of related to gluing tubulars on track wheels is using shellac. I have never done it but I heard it is very laborious and time consuming. I have never heard of anyone using the technique on road wheels.

Originally Posted by cyclinfool
This routine is from the book "The time crunched cyclist", my training partner put the routine together and it does seem to be working.
Hi cyclinfool, welcome to the "club." I read that book cover-to-cover. It was pretty interesting but I am too undisciplined in my training to establish that kind of plan. The other thing about the approach (and I have heard of other approaches like it) is that get you to a high level of fitness quickly for a very specific short period of time and then you have to take it back down just as quickly. Chris Carmichael provides that caveat quite clearly in the book.
Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at http://www.lawville.org/