Old 05-09-11, 02:45 PM
BigHuf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
building a bike maybe... finding a good donor for ultra clyde?

I guess the first part is, I am really loving the mountain bike I have, especially for hauling my son around on his trail a bike, but I want to work on a road bike for myself while I'm dropping weight, here is the issue. I'm looking at my local CL and areas around here, not many used builders are apparent, I'm not worried about the components in general, but i would like a 25" frame. because I am not likely to drop below 300 lbs before finishing it, I am strongly considering just building one off a frame to my liking, as I have ideas what I am interested in. I am not spending $700 on a bike I plan to start messing with off the bat, I would rather just go frame up even if it costs more, because I can spread it out. so here are my two considerations.. is a frame a frame in the lower cost brackets? Nashbar has a frame and fork in the $200 range for the two, or would i be better off buying a box bike and just not assembling it? I am not horribly concerned about branding myself, or labels and stickers, as I plan to paint it myself. my ultimate goal is a flat bar roadie for now, I am too heavy to play with things with toy front shocks. and looking at alot of the off the shelf bikes I see nothing is exactly what I'm looking for and is built to take a guy at my planned weight... ok I think I've droned out enough, thanks for reading this far if you still are. lol.