Thread: CCM 'Torino 76'
View Single Post
Old 05-10-11, 06:53 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
CCM 'Torino 76'

I mentioned in the CCM History thread (under my out-of-town pseudonym DCB0) that I was considering buying an old CCM Torino from the local bike guy. Well, I went and picked it up today, after we spent a few minutes ensuring that the BB, stem, and seatpost could be removed - they came out very easily, except for the crank bolt caps.

I will post pictures in the next day or two of the 'as received' condition, and try to make regular updates as I decide what to do with it and ultimately bring it back into rideable condition.

The bike
THe bike is gold in colour with 'Torino 76' in black letters on the down tube, some black stipes and designs on the seat tube, and a CCM head badge riveted on the head tube. The crankset is a steel Sugino cotterless model, and there are some old steel pedals. The deraileurs are Suntour on the rear, and a Simplex piston styule front with a plastic body. The shifters are downtube mounted with a boss brazed on the frame that seems to be to keep the shifter clamp aligned. The cable guides clamped on the down tube near the BB, next to a boss similar to the one by the shifters.
The rear wheel (front is missing) is a steel rim with a steel hub. The rim actually has 'Made in Canada' stamped on it, and it is a non-hook-bead type.
The brakes are a super long reach Dia-Compe centre-pull model - so long reach that the pads are as high as they can go to fit with the 27" wheels. I think this makes the bike an ideal choice to convert to 700C.

I believe the frame is made from 531 plain gauge tubing - judging by the 1970s CCM catalog posted on www.mytenspeeds.com, which shows an older model, but a Torino nonetheless.

I will update soon with pictures and more build info.

Last edited by LarDasse74; 05-10-11 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Correction