Old 05-11-11, 04:46 PM
cyanemi

Bikes: 1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yammay
I live in an area that is more "ginormous SUV"-friendly than bike friendly, so it's really not a surprise to me that I get honked at A LOT when I claim the lane on narrow country roads. (I do try to minimize my travel on those but they can't be entirely avoided.) This morning took the cake though - I was actually yelled at. So at work I made a variation of this sign: http://thehum.bostonbiker.org/files/...9/BMUFL-MA.pdf (I cut it off under the words "Full Lane".) I put it into a clear UPS label-holder (the kind you peel the back off and stick to a UPS envelope).

I felt REALLY dorky walking out of my building with that on my back, as if wearing my bike gear doesn't get enough stares already. However, there was a noticeable difference in driver behavior. Not only did I not get honked at or yelled at, but drivers gave me much more room when passing and didn't try to speed up to get in front of me at a stop sign.

I think I might try it again. Has anyone else worn a sign and had a similar (or not similar) experience?
Excellent idea and results!