View Single Post
Old 05-11-11, 07:08 PM
kaos_jo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom Track Frame Build Questions

Im having a custom titanium track frame built for me (partly to be tricky, partly because i cant find a quality frame around 2-3k aud, they are all either 1k alloy or 7k carbon)

So i am investigating what is going to build up the best for me, and through my investigating i have discovered that there isnt really a hard and fast rule for track geometries, just what works best for you and your track and the racing style you do.

Im fairly new to racing, and i have only had one track bike, which was a 545mm square traditional madison steel track frame. Its great and stiff, but a little on the heavy side. I also felt as though it never stretched me out enough, and i wasnt wiling to go for a longer stem and compromise handling.

there is a school of thought that suggested you should have your track geometry as close, if not the same, as your road geometry. As you spend more time on your road bike, its better for your muscle memory and training to not have a large difference between the two.

So with this in mind i have come up with these geometries. It is aero down tube, and seat tube with a cut away for the wheel.
- 550mm centre to centre top tube
- 130mm top to bottom head tube
- 73degree seat tube and head angle
- 52mm centre axle to centre bb drop
the chainstays have yet to be determined, as it will depend on the width of the seattube and its cutaway in relation to my wheel, and i will calculate this when i have decided upon the other geometries.

I run a 170mm crank, and the track that i ride on has a 42degree banking.

So what do you guys think? i willing to listen to anyones views on what they think about this set up.

Also i am curious about what fork i will need to run, if anyone has suggestions to this?

Jo