Old 05-11-11, 11:09 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringMN
What do you wear or take with you to accommodate the rain?
I've got a breathable, waterproof jacket (very expensive and doesn't keep me 100% dry, but I think it's worth it given the climate here in the PNW) and a pair of waterproof shoe covers (also not 100% waterproof, but much better than not having them). Beyond that, I wear wicking bike-specific clothes and change when I get to work. For the distance you're talking about, you have to resign yourself to getting wet and just manage comfort.

Do you carry a laptop with you? I have what is claimed to be a watertight pannier system, but that accountability is high.
I sometimes carry a laptop. I have a standard pannier (Novara Commuter) with a rain cover, and I've never had a problem. Some other systems have much better waterproofing. Unlike the clothing, waterproof panniers really are 100% waterproof, I think, because they don't need to be breathable.

Anyway. It just feels too difficult to start out in the rain and expect that the ride might continue for the full commute.
It's an advanced skill, or maybe I should say an acquired taste. If you're just starting out, only commute on nice days. When you see how much you like it, you can decide about adding on rain days too.

My commute is 3 miles to the bus stop; a 30 min bus ride; and then another 45 minute bike ride. Sounds ludicrous to make that a standard plan. Despite the rising gas prices.
Yeah. I'd probably try to cut out the bus ride and bike that part too. Otherwise, it doesn't sound so bad. What's the distance?