Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
Biked Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...

I could have made it today.

If I slap my leg, no amount of concentration will prevent the instantaneous complete loss of focus. I can't keep my brain from resetting. The muscle is extremely sore. Probably from me powering around like I'm some kind of seasoned mountain biker blowing by a pathetically easy commute on smooth road.

I really could have made it in today; I just didn't want to deal with it.

I didn't want to deal with the strain, with the soreness, with the very much trivially doable task of getting my bike from my apartment to my job. I wouldn't be able to walk up the stairs without lots and lots of pain and burning in my legs, but it wouldn't be insurmountable to pull it off, nor a major shock.

Still, I'm sore, and while I could, I just decided to drive the car today. If I was well-rested, recovered, running on fully prepared muscles with no soreness or stiffness, I'd have gone for it, sure. I just didn't want to put in the extra effort to do another day on these failing fibers and ligaments. My body is already sore all over, I really just want to lay in bed, or do some yoga.

Does this happen a lot?
No, actually it does not. Most people avoid pain and painful things. Biking to work shouldn't cause pain. There is no greater impediment to the mass acceptance of cycling as a valid method of transportation than the inability of most who attempt it to want it to be as fast, effortless and convenient as driving. Rather than rest up for a couple of days and get back out there to blow up again in three days I would do as others have suggested and review bike fit and riding technique so that riding doesn't hurt.

H